We are committed to teaching the Christian Faith as set out in the Holy Scriptures. As an Anglican Church (a part of the Sydney Anglican Diocese) we uphold the Bible, the theology of the Book of Common Prayer, particularly as set out in the 39 articles of the Anglican Church.
A helpful summary of our beliefs can be seen in the statement of faith of the Australian Fellowship of Evangelical Students:
- The divine inspiration and infallibility of Holy Scripture as originally given and its supreme authority in all matters of faith and conduct.
- The unity of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit in the Godhead.
- The universal sinfulness and guilt of humanity since the fall, rendering men and women subject to God’s wrath and condemnation.
- The conception of Jesus Christ by the Holy Spirit and his birth by the virgin Mary.
- Redemption from the guilt, penalty and power of sin only through the sacrificial death, as our representative and substitute, of Jesus Christ, the incarnate Son of God.
- The bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.
- The necessity of the work of the Holy Spirit to make the death of Christ effective in the individual sinner, granting him or her repentance towards God, and faith in Jesus Christ.
- The indwelling and work of the Holy Spirit in the believer.
- The expectation of the personal return of the Lord Jesus Christ.
- LOVING JESUS We are concerned for people to love Jesus so we conduct our Sunday meetings in such a way to both build up the member and at the same time make the outsider feel welcome.
- LOVING EACH OTHER We want to be a Christian Community where each of us is actively involved in loving, knowing and caring for others in the fellowship. A primary expression of this will be through our community groups.
- SERVING Our hope is that each member will be involved in formal service and informal service to others in our church.
- BLESSING We want to be a blessing beyond our church. A key expression of this is through the ministry of Christians in the Media. This involves Village praying for, hearing about and supporting various forms of ministry to in the media fraternity. Other expressions will be supporting missionaries, ministries to local nursing homes, schools, media distribution and caring for the poor.
- PRAYING We want to deeply express our dependence on God by being people of prayer both in our personal lives and whenever we meet together.
- EVANGELICAL We will seek to grow people in Jesus in accordance with the evangelical faith as explained in the Australian Fellowship of Evangelical Student’s doctrinal statement.
- EXPOSITORY We will generally teach the Bible in a systematic and expository manner in both our Sunday meetings and Community Groups.
- THINKING We will teach the Bible in such a way that encourages people to be discerning/to think critically.
- LIFE CHANGING We want to encourage each other not to be to be ‘comfortable Christians’ but to live radical lives of trust, obedience, love and hope.
- GODLY LEADERSHIP We expect anyone involved in public ministry or leadership to be striving for a life of personal holiness.
- SENDING We want to encourage people into full-time ministry and gatekeeper roles – so people are maximising the use of their gifts to influence the world for Jesus.
- CONTEMPORARY, WELCOMING, ENGAGING We want the feel of the ministry to be contemporary, welcoming, well prepared, energetic and positive towards creativity and diversity.
- MUSIC The lyrics of the music we sing at Village reflects an evangelical understanding of Scripture. The music is contemporary, energetic, raw, well practised and executed.